Monday, August 16, 2010

How to Earn 6,000 Scholastic Bonus Points

What would you do with 6,000 Scholastic Bonus points? Buy a class set of your favorite novel? Order sets of books for Literature Circles? Increase your classroom nonfiction collection? Order needed materials and supplies? Only a teacher would understand how we much we love those points! To us, the idea of earning 6,000 points with a single order sounds like hitting the jackpot in Vegas or winning the lottery! But believe it or not, with a little persistence and a plan, you can earn 6,000 points for your classroom this year!

How can you cash in on this bonanza? Just compile one $200 order from a single September 2010 book club catalog. As impossible as it seems, putting together a large order is really quite easy if you have a plan. Last year I posted a step-by-step method for earning over 4,000 points, but amazingly, this year's deal is even better! A $200 order will now earn you over 6,000 points to spend any way you wish. Whether you teach at a high poverty school or an affluent one, you might be surprised at how easy this is to accomplish. When you let your students and parents know about your goal and why you want their support, you'll be astonished at the results!

To download the step-by-step plan for earning 6,000 Bonus Points, go to my Back to School page on the  Teaching Resources website (www.lauracandler.com). You'll find a set of directions as well as a customizable parent letter and other helpful printables. All of these materials are free and ready to download right away.

Skeptical? During the month of September last year, many teachers emailed me about their amazing success with this plan, and some of those teachers had never even put together a $20 order. Some of them were veteran teachers while others were brand-new to the classroom, but all were excited to start the year with thousands of bonus points to spend!

And no, I'm not affiliated with Scholastic. I just love their books and materials, and I enjoy sharing strategies that help others make the most of Scholastic's back-to-school offer. I invite you to share your own strategies and experiences as well. Just leave a comment below or visit the Teaching Resources page on Facebook. Let me know about your success and all the goodies you buy with your bonus points! :-)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much!! I will definitely give it a try. My students are not from low socioeconomic backgrounds, but they don't tend to spend too much on book orders. I think attaching the incentive will help. They will certainly want to be part of spending the 6000 so that's a big plus!!
    Much thanks again for all that you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to place a large order for books to give to all of our students at a Family Reading Night event. I ordered from 3 September 2010 catalogs at exactly $200 per order, then threw in a few extras from other catalogs. This gave me around 20,000 points in ONE ORDER, which I was able to redeem for an iPad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach second grade. I send out the SeeSaw September the first week of school to get my 6,000 points, and then a few weeks later (after the SeeSaw completed order arrives) I send home the Lucky order and get 6,000 MORE points. Sometimes I have to add a few dollars to make the two orders come out to $200, but I seem to always make it on the first two orders of the year. These Bonus Points allow me to buy classroom books and resources all year. (For the rest of the year, I send out the SeeSaw and Lucky orders together. This covers all my levels of readers.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to let you know that my class did it! Read about it here: www.msv1stgrade.blogspot.com

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete